[X4U] how to view "pageouts?"

Ed Gould edgould1948 at comcast.net
Thu Jun 19 10:32:34 PDT 2008

On Jun 19, 2008, at 11:47 AM, David Ledger wrote:
> ---------------------
> SNIP----------------------------------------------------------
> Other than memory mapped file I/O I'd be interested to know what
> these other reasons are.
>
> David

The one or two that come to the top of my mind (there are others of
course) are 1. The application tells the OS that the page will not be
used in quite a long time (perhaps an error routine that is never(?)
to be invoked) 2. The OS sees a wait issued by the application and
due to other issues (like cpu busy, etc) decided to swap the entire
application out. Some of the types of wait are either I/O and or
waiting on input from the user. If the system is overloaded say by
cpu usage then the system looks at the the applications that are not
doing anything and frees up memory by swapping those applications out
or another reason is that the OS keeps track of a a "routine"  and if
its no longer in use it it moves it to the ready "que" to be paged
out que and so long as the use count does not go up by the time its
ready to be paged it is paged out or depending on how the OS is
written  maybe just the page is freed and when the routine is need
again it is paged in from the swap file, again it depends on how
sophisticated the OS is.   It maybe just because the application says
I am stopped and can go no further until an external event occurs
like a time expiring at say 2 hours later(ICAL might be an example
here). The MAC internals on scheduling is not externally published so
there may be others as well, its difficult to say what was
architected into the OS do I can only guess based on how other
systems that *ARE* externalized.

I posted a lengthy pageout response yesterday and it was held for
length restrictions. Maybe that will answer the question as well.

Ed