[X4U] Hard Drive Recovery How Ridiculous

Ed Gould edgould1948 at comcast.net
Sat Jun 21 21:44:26 PDT 2008

On Jun 21, 2008, at 10:20 PM, Zane H. Healy wrote:

> At 5:06 PM -0700 6/21/08, John Baltutis wrote:
>> In addition to Time Machine (requires running Leopard), Carbon
>> Copy Cloner,
>> SuperDuper!, and Disk Utility, for example, are simple and
>> inituitive. If
>> backing up isn't part of an average user's paradigm, then they've
>> haven't been
>> paying attention.
>
> How many people that deal with system backups professionally on a
> daily basis are lax at home?  My problem is the added expense.  I
> know what I need, but haven't had the $$$'s to implement it.  It is
> always a lower priority.  Though now I buy two HD's every time I
> need a new one, and occasionally use Carbon Copy Cloner to
> duplicate the drive.
>
> Which reminds me...  I need to back up my Adobe Lightroom library.
>
> Zane

Zane:

I used to be responsible for my company's back up and DR restores (as
well as a LOT of other items). I also had a PC back then and really
worried about the backup issue. Back then (20 years ago) HD's were
expensive and TAPE was the only option. I was hurting my budget when
I bought tape (IIRC it was $24 each) The tape did not hold very much
either(its been ages so I would rather just say I don't remember).
Backup to tape was really the only option as tape was less expensive
than disk. Now days disk is cheap and tape is $$ (go figure). One
thing we always had to worry about was tape errors when restore time
(and we did have them) happened. The tape technology really improved
over the years so now its rare that tape errors occur (although they
still occur). One thing I should also mention is that TAPE capacity
really improved over the years and that made it even cheaper. Alas
disk capacity also increased but if memory serves me tape is still
cheaper. My memory is knotty about tape capacity so I won't say what
it improved to but a number sticks in my head of 30-40 times what it
used to be (could be higher).
Now drives are cheap and some manufactures allow what you would call
cloning but 10-30 seconds to do an entire drive is done everyday.
Most companies still do TAPE backups however a growing number are
doing remote cloning of drives (the remote drive is typically 10-500
miles away) so if a disaster happens a company can be back up and
running within 10 or so minutes. I worked at a bank and if we were
down for more than 5 minutes we were fined major time. That was just
for online banking we had other applications that had a 20 minute
downtime allowable and we were never fined for any downtime on that
application (AFAIK). Other applications were not quite as critical as
next day was "OK".  The PC issue was a real thorny one and in order
to back up & restore data remotely was doable if the data was
centrally located not on somebody's desk top. I wasn't responsible
for the PC arena (thank heavens). The PC people had a different
mindset than the rest of the company and they didn't think twice of
saying "oops" (loosing data) if I lost even a small file my boss was
all over me. I never lost anything major so no "oops" although one
time a Tape drive did burp and I lost a small file. Luckily it was
easily re-created. The PC people seemed to be able to get away with
what I would call murder and loose data like it was yesterdays fish
and no one yelled. I could never understand why there was a double
standard like that but there was.

Ed