[X4U] Re: "Backwards Compatibility"

Jon jwarms at mac.com
Sun Jun 22 09:05:32 PDT 2008

On Jun 21, 2008,  "Zane H. Healy" <healyzh at aracnet.com> wrote:

> Interesting how Apple has taken an OS that started out on the 68030,
> had x86, Sparc, and PA-RISC support added for V3.1, then supported
> all three through V4.2, at which point they removed 68k, Sparc and
> PA-RISC support to add in PPC support.

Zane-

I really would appreciate it if you had a citation for this, especially
x86 support.

I assume when you talk about support, you mean the ability to run
on computers with those chips (x86, Sparc, and PA-RISC). Never
happened until Boot Camp!

If you mean supporting emulators, that's a different matter.
X86 support ( and possibly the others) was provided by
people like Insignia with their PC emulators, and then later, by VPC.
This wasn't an Apple feature, and it always was kind of a last resort,
if you really, really needed to run a dark-side OS app on your Mac.

But the Mac OS never ran on anything other than the Motorola
68000 family until PPC and Intel.

Jon