[X4U] Re: Default application to open pdf on double click, and icon

stephen e. schwartz ses at bnl.gov
Fri Jun 27 20:37:44 PDT 2008

After much trial and error I found an almost perfect solution to my
problem, and in the process I understand system 10.4 a bit better than I
did previously.

Evidently system 10.4 will not allow a classic app to be the default app to
open a file type (at least under some set of circumstances; I am not sure I
wholly understand its ground rules.)

But I found the following workaround: Select a pdf document, and in the
file: get info window make the default app to open the document acrobat
reader 7. And in the same window instruct it to do so for all files of this
type in the dialog. The window allows this and does not revert (as it did
when I tried to have acrobat 4 be the default).

This changes the double click default of all pdf's to acrobat 7. But if
acrobat 4 is on (and reader 7 is not) then when one double clicks any pdf
document, the application to open the document rolls over to acrobat 4 (in
classic) as desired.

The icons did not immediately revert back to acrobat icons, but they did on
a restart, and retained their file creation date. Whoopee!

I am reporting this on the odd chance that anyone else ever faces such a
problem.

-steve

-----