[X4U] quicktime pro

Doug McNutt douglist at macnauchtan.com
Mon Mar 10 11:39:22 PDT 2008

At 09:17 -0700 3/10/08, Robert Ashton wrote:
>How do I back track quicktime to an earlier version. Thanks in  advance   Bob

** Quoted from somewhere. The problem was that version 7.4 no longer handles MPEG4. I donno about the pro feature. I bought that once but never again.

http://discussions.apple.com/thread.jspa?messageID=6473618
2. Install Quicktime 7.1.3 in such a way that it overwrites the QT 7.4 files without interfering with your other system settings and third-party add-ons. This can be done using a shareware (you can use it a few times for free, but worth paying for and having) application called Pacifist. This method works perfectly:

(Note that there separate QT 7.1.3 installer packages for Leopard, Tiger and Panther, and you can get them here:

Panther: http://www.apple.com/support/downloads/quicktime731forpanther.html
Tiger: http://www.apple.com/support/downloads/quicktime731fortiger.html
Leopard: http://www.apple.com/support/downloads/quicktime731forleopard.html

Open Pacifist, and drag the icon of the QT installer to the Pacifist window. This will have the 'open carton' icon. Click on this, then click Install from the top left-hand corner of the Pacifist menu. You will be asked if you want existing files replaced. Say yes to all. Job done!

You will now have Quicktime 7.1.3 (or earlier) installed, which will play mpeg4 files as normal!

N.B. Repair permissions and restart both before and after installation.

--

Applescript syntax is like English spelling:
Roughly, though not thoroughly, thought through.