[X4U] Word 2008/2004 Bullet Issue

John Baltutis baltwo at san.rr.com
Tue Mar 11 15:53:11 PDT 2008

On 03/11/08, Richard Gilmore <rgilmor at uwo.ca> wrote:

> My versions of Word 2008/04 won't show bullets on the Mac at all even though
> it shows a bullet and says "bullet" it comes up as a square box even if it's
> made on a Mac to start with and hasn't gone anywhere near a PC. I don't
> think it's a font issue especially with the people that I deal with on the
> PC (Win) end of things who have different fonts on their home
> computers/laptops where their docs originated from yet their bullets on
> Win/PC never fail to work properly on our machines (which they need to print
> from). And the Mac bullets don't work at all.
>
> You can customize the bullets on Mac Word 2008 with Option-8 but they don't
> line up directly across from the list they are supposed to be "bulleting"
> the way "real" bullets do. This has proven to be an unacceptable workaround
> to our clients who use bullets mainly for resumes and are incredibly fussy
> and picky on how they want their resumes to look. From a marketing
> standpoint this makes our Macs look poorly to our clients many of who have
> little exposure to Apple.

Humbug. Sounds more like a microsloth problem. I select Format->Bullets and
Numbering->Bullets->2nd item left, top row, and get normal looking bullets in
Word 2004. Methinks this is a problem for the Word forums at
<http://www.officeformac.com/ProductForums/Word/>-maybe a bug report is
warranted. BTW, I don't deal with PC Word users, nor have a PC, so I can't
check what comes across. Send me one of those and I'll let you know if it
displays bullets properly.