[X4U] AppleWorks ??

Jeff Johnson jrj1120 at gmail.com
Thu Mar 13 06:43:55 PDT 2008

Dan,

Found this, which seems to describe your problem
<http://www.macosxhints.com/article.php?story=20050401224742750>:

---
For anyone who still uses AppleWorks (what can I say, it does
everything that I need) and has lost the ability to use their custom
user spelling library (you know, so it won't flag "TigerKR" as a
spelling error every time), fear not (much). I have found the simple
solution. And it will reenable the "Learn" button in the "Spelling"
dialogue box as well. Here's how.

When AppleWorks is the active application, choose Edit -> Writing
Tools -> Select Dictionaries from the menu. A Select Dictionaries
window will appear. Click on the radio button for User Dictionary.
Then below Currently Selected Dictionary, it will probably say
something like 'None.' Click on Choose on the right of the window, and
navigate to your MIA user dictionary, which is usually located at
/Applications: AppleWorks 6: AppleWorks Essentials: Dictionaries: User
Dictionary.

If you don't have that file, you can create a new user dictionary by
clicking ... wait for it ... wait ... yep, click New. If that doesn't
fix the problem, you may want to check the permissions of said User
Dictionary to make sure that you have read/write access to the file.
---
It may also be an AW preferences problem - try moving your
com.apple.appleworks.plist file from its current location (Home folder
> Library > Preferences) to the trash, then restarting AW.

Here's a link that describes the above and more:
http://discussions.apple.com/thread.jspa?threadID=121704

Good luck!

Jeff
Milwaukee