[X4U] Can't verify disk from boot volume.

Randy B. Singer randy at macattorney.com
Sat Mar 15 22:36:34 PDT 2008

On Mar 15, 2008, at 8:57 AM, Robert A. (Bob) Hall wrote:

> I can't Verify my boot Volume using Disk Utility while on the boot
> volume. The Verify button remains grayed out. This remains even
> after I have repaired the boot Volume with both Disk Warrior and
> Disk Utility on my external FireWire and the appear ok after the
> repair. My OS is version 10.4.11.
>
> Can anyone tell me what the problem might be.

The ability to verify the boot disk has been available since OS X
10.4.3:

It will only work if the disk has been formatted as:  Mac OS X
Extended (Journaled). If the disk doesn't have journaling turned on,
it won't work.

There are other limitations also, have a look at the above article.

I've heard from a number of folks who have had the volume selected in
the left column instead of the entire drive, and that has been the
limiting factor.  (I just tried it, and it made no difference at
all.  Go figure.)

Randy B. Singer

Macintosh OS X Routine Maintenance
http://www.macattorney.com/ts.html