[X4U] Thoughts on Clearwire?

Dave B DaveB_Lists_1004 at gto.net
Tue Mar 18 08:48:32 PDT 2008

I use a similar service offered by Rogers (cable TV, ISP, cellular
provider, and too much more) in southern Ontario, Canada. It is a
fairly good service, if you are willing to accept the limitations.
Weather and obstructions are the main obstacles.

I purchased a portable modem used the system at our cottage, which is
on an island. The only tower that is close to us is on the opposite
side of the island, and we are technically out of the coverage area.
With some experimenting, I found that one particular window of the
cottage has a small opening through the trees and rocks of the island
in the exact direction of the tower. With careful placement of the
modem (portable unit rather than the permanent install) I can get up
to 2/5 signal strength. This is good enough to support a continuous
VPN connection. VoIP calls suffered from high latency and some packet
loss. I've seen up to 80KB/s download. While this isn't even close to
'fast', it is a darn sight better than our dial-up connection on a
pulse line (yes, we still use a rotary phone!). The ability for my
wife and I to work from the cottage is worth

Weather like heavy rain will interrupt the signal. And in our case,
wind that moves the trees will also disrupt the signal. A cottage on
the other end of the island has a clear view of the tower down the
lake and they are usually at full signal and speed. Make sure that if
you do try this service that it is 100% refundable within 30 days. You
will want to test the service to make sure that it is going to live up
to your expectations.

HTH,
Dave

---