[X4U] Boot Camp will not find my disk.

Stroller macmonster at myrealbox.com
Fri Mar 21 09:15:04 PDT 2008

On 21 Mar 2008, at 14:11, Hans M wrote:
> 2. I mounted the Leopard Install Disk, the message was I could
>    not install Leopard on my Macbook Pro.

I'm surprised to read this. I would try tracking down this aspect of
the problem.

> 3. I connected the MacBook Pro as an external harddisk to my desktop
>    and installed Leopard on the MacBook Pro.
>    As the desktop is a PowerPC one, Bootcamp Installer was not
>    installed in to Tools, but I had save it, so I could copy it back.
>
> 4. I booted the MacBook Pro, and started BootCamp Installer.
>    The manual was fine, but continuing there is a message I can't
>    install Bootcamp on the hardisk. It has to be reformatted in the
>    GUID mode, AND WHAT IS THAT?

> Whats' GUID formatting, I can't find that option in the
> Disk Manager.

Basically, Intel Macs partition hard-drives differently than the way
PPC Macs do. I don't think a PPC Mac can format a drive as Intel-
bootable, and I don't think one can install an o/s on a drive that
has been partitioned by an Intel (at least, not so the o/s is
bootable on an Intel).

Basically, you need to use an Intel to install the o/s on your
Macbook (ideally by booting the install CD from the machine itself).

Stroller.