[X4U] running OS from software RAID

Stroller macmonster at myrealbox.com
Sat Mar 22 09:58:29 PDT 2008

On 22 Mar 2008, at 07:34, David Ledger wrote:
> I run my 544MHz G4 tower booted from a pair of raid 1 (mirrored)
> 40GB drives (the original and a second almost as old) using Apple's
> s/w raid. ...

Out of curiosity, will the system boot if one of the drives fails?
(or if one of the drives is simply unplugged?)

Software RAID under Linux is supposed to be very good these days, but
for a while i have been wondering - you put GRUB on /dev/sda and
then / on a RAID of /dev/sda and /dev/sdb. What happens if /dev/sda
dies - presumably one puts GRUB and a /boot partition also on /dev/
sdb against this eventuality. Presumably Apple do something similar
all transparently & seamlessly, so that the user doesn't even notice?

Stroller.