[X4U] Boot Camp will not find my disk.

Ronald Steinke ronsteinke at mac.com
Fri Mar 21 12:59:35 PDT 2008

On 21 Mar, 2008, at 7:11 AM, Hans M wrote:

> 1. I made a backup of my MacBook Pro to an external hard disk,
>   time +3 hours! I used CCC Carbon copy Cloner.
>
> 2. I mounted the Leopard Install Disk, the message was I could
>   not install Leopard on my Macbook Pro.

Why couldn't you do the install? What requirement is NOT being met by
your MacBook Pro? Is there enough RAM, hard drive formatted correctly,
processor speed fast enough, etc? Look for these answers in your
procedure.

> 3. I connected the MacBook Pro as an external harddisk to my desktop
>   and installed Leopard on the MacBook Pro.
>   As the desktop is a PowerPC one, Bootcamp Installer was not
>   installed in to Tools, but I had save it, so I could copy it back.

DO NOT TRY TO MIX POWER PC AND INTEL ARCHITECTURE!!!!!! It won't work
that way. Use the proper install disc for the machine you are going to
install the software on.
Your MacBook is an Intel chip machine and your desktop computer is
not, it is a Power PC chip.
When you installed the software on the drive as an "external
harddisk", the installer tried to install the software version that
works with the desktop machine, not the MacBook.

> 4. I booted the MacBook Pro, and started BootCamp Installer.
>   The manual was fine, but continuing there is a message I can't
>   install Bootcamp on the hardisk. It has to be reformatted in the
>   GUID mode, AND WHAT IS THAT?

When you first initialize a hard drive, you have the choice of using
different formats. One of those is GUID Mode which is needed for the
Intel chip machine. If the drive was not formatted in GUID Mode, it
will not be recognized properly and not let you install the other
software.

> 6. So, what's wrong? Leopard is updated, the only "change" is I do
> have
>   a 250 GB hard disk instead of the original 100GB.

You tried to do something that won't work with your MacBook Pro. Stop
and start over at the beginning with the proper discs and you should
have no problems.