[X4U] Spreadsheets that can split window > 1 time

Michael Elliott michaelelliott at mac.com
Sun Mar 30 09:19:52 PDT 2008

Sorry for the cryptic subject, but hard to describe what I'm looking
for.

I'm still using Appleworks as my primary spreadsheet application.

I have tried to make a transition to another spreadsheet app, but
found that one feature in Appleworks keeps me hooked on it:  the
ability to split the spreadsheet window into more than two vertical or
horizontal panes.

Excel and MarinerCalc allow splitting of the window once vertically
and once horizontally, into 4 separately-scrollable panes.  But I need
to split the window into 3 both verticaly and horizontally.  (I have
some complex spreadsheets in which I need the top, bottom, and side
columns and rows of the sheets to stay put, while I move around the
center.)  AppleWorks allows this, but I can't find the functionality
anywhere else.  I've Googled, but can't seem to find anything.

Perhaps this functionality exists in Excel and other spreadsheet apps,
through some other means? Any suggestions?

Michael