[X4U] Advice sought on a Mac book for an elderly beginner-level user.

Jamie Kahn Genet lists at wizardling.geek.nz
Fri May 2 16:53:42 PDT 2008

Vent away :-) God knows I need to occasionally, heh.

Yeah - I almost feel the same way about my grandmother - she started
out with an old PC running Win95 that my Uncle got her. Despite being
a crappy PC she DID have some excellent 'for Dummies' books on Win95
and Word 97... that she hardly touched. In fact she would invariably
reach for the wrong book (Word for Dummies when she needed Win95 for
Dummies or vice versa). I never could get her to understand the
difference between an OS and an application. Word for Windows doesn't
help by allowing a user to do virtually anything in the Open/Save
dialog *sigh*

Skip forward almost ten years and I feel it's a safe move getting her
a Mac mini to replace her old PC, because she never learnt how to
create folders, organise files, etc on the PC, so it's not like she'd
be learning much that was new on the Mac. And of course I would no
longer have to deal with endless security hassles on her WinPC!!! :-)
But she still doesn't know diddly squat and still refuses to work
through a decent beginner's book. There's always some excuse. Her one
for the Win Dummies books, BTW, was she didn't like the humour. *deep
sigh* I felt like telling her she doesn't need to LIKE them (though
that would help, I suppose), she just needs to work through them a
little bit each day till she understands the fundaments. But I didn't
of course. Then her excuses when I got her some other Windows for
beginner books (I forget what they were now) were she was too busy
(she's retired and fairly well off for goodness sake!), she has me to
show her (well turns out I have a life and can't be there 24/7), etc,
etc.

So I feel your pain, Bernard :-D

Regards,
 Jamie Kahn Genet