[X4U] Mozy backup service referrals seem a nifty idea

Tim Collier tim_collier at bellsouth.net
Sun May 4 03:34:00 PDT 2008

On 5/3/08 9:53 AM, "David Ledger"  wrote an extraordinary message on 5/3/08
9:53 AM, when I received this message, I became so excited that I was forced
to take an extra Xanax.

>> From: Tim Collier <tim_collier at bellsouth.net>
>> On 5/2/08 9:03 PM, "Jamie Kahn Genet"  wrote
>>>  I'm going to try out the free version of Mozy <http://mozy.com/home>
>>>  over the course of the month and will report back my experiences
>>>  (which will determine whether I take the plunge for the full version)
>>>  if you guys like.
>>  The best idea of all is simply to upgrade to 10.5 and you get Time Machine.
>> It has to be one of best things Apple ever put out.  It's also saved my life
>> a few times now.
>> Why go spending your money on 'crap' when you can have Time Machine.
>
> Time Machine and things like Mozy are complimentary not alternatives.
> Mozy is off-site - house burns down, your data is safe. CCC / Super
> Duper bootable clones are the third side of the backup solution. Use
> all three and you're as safe as you can be for such a low cost.
>
> David

David:

Maybe I should have been a bit more specific.  As I said, I now use Time
Machine.  Each of our desktop Macs are outfitted with a 1 terabyte firewire
back up device which we use for Time Machine.  When we originally instituted
this, we were using CCC to just back up the entire drive and then store each
drive in our safety deposit box and take the one stored there and begin
again.  Now, I feel that Time Machine is a much better way to back up your
Mac (I think I said before, it has saved my life by being able to restore
all of my data).
So, our strategy is to change out the external drive with the one in the
vault at the bank.  In the event of a disastre, we would only lose, at most,
1 month.  I also backup all of my documents, etc to my .mac site.
So, maybe I'm not aware of some of these 'fly by night' off site back up
servers, but the mode I use now works very well for us.  I might add that if
we see an advisory from the National Hurricane center during the summer, we
just automatically put the current drives in the safe deposit box--better to
be safe than sorry.  This works well for us.  And yes, I do think that I
would be very hesitant to perform an online backup of my entire hard drive
to an off site server, with over 130 gig (at present) on the drive even with
my Cable and DSL, it would take HOURS to back up, no?  That's just not very
convenient or practical.
Do these off site facilities even allow for that much data?

Tim

--
Tim Collier
MacBook 2.2 gig 2 gig RAM