[X4U] world adapter kit

Jon jwarms at mac.com
Fri May 9 10:54:50 PDT 2008

On May 7, 2008, <edgould1948 at comcast.net> wrote:

>  Maybe I am off but (maybe its me) but an adapter kit
> should come with a power converter as well, no?

NO. Well, it depends. "No" for all of the models that are
meant for traveling, the iBook, the Powerbook, and the Mac
Book and MacBook Pro. "No" for the all-in-one iMacs, as
far as I could see. "Probably" for the desktop pro Macs, you
really have to check.

For at least the last ten years, all Apple laptops have come with
100-240 volt power bricks. All that's been needed to take them
anywhere in the world has been the right adapter.

Desktop units vary. I spot-checked a few iMacs going back to the
first model; they all have universal power supplies, so only an
adapter would be needed.

Mac Minis are also 100-240.

However, the Quicksilver model, for example, would require a
converter, as would the current Mac Pro. Apparently. (Both
specs say 100-120 volts or 200/220-240 volts; the "or" means,
to me, that a converter is required in 220 volt countries. So the
pro models vary.

The best thing would be to check the specs for your friend's
computer.

http://support.apple.com/specs/index.html

has all the specs. Look for the electrical or environmental
requirements.

Don't forget that if your friend doesn't have an all-in-one Mac
(not a laptop or an iMac), he/she will have to answer the
the same questions for the display.

Jon