[X4U] synology disk station

Ed Gould edgould1948 at comcast.net
Fri May 16 21:28:18 PDT 2008

On May 16, 2008, at 3:21 AM, alexandre wrote:

> hi ed
>
> i thought of doing that too, but this solution costs more than
> getting a ready-made 1TB hard drive (lacie 2big for example), in
> switzerland at least.
>
> so i'm thinkink of getting that and maybe an airport extreme base
> station to have the wifi connectivity. i'm worried that despite
> "mac compatibility", the synology is ging to give me issues…
>
> regards,
> alexandre
> 17" 2.33ghz ic2d macbook pro / 2.0gb / 160gb / X.5.2
> 24" 2.33ghz ic2d imac / 2.0gb / 250gb / X.4.11
>
> =-------------------SNIP------------------------

This is not a guarantee but chance are if a drive controller is
firewire it is Apple compatible. I am sure there will be some
disagreement but usually that  has been my experience. Don't get me
wrong but if you buy (and read) the ad for any hard drive sold by any
OEM dealer they should tell you if its *NOT* Mac compatible. I got
the Elite controller for a place in Woodstock IL and they really do
stand behind what they sell. I got the 500 MB drives from CDW which
sells both. if its a SATA 500 MB drive then it probably work with a
MAC. The Woodstock people also are excellent on sales questions. This
is something right up their alley. I have never had to return any
equipment to them they are really great MAC people (although they do
sell some windows stuff).

Ed