[X4U] MacBook Pro problem

Colin Buttimer lists at eleventhvolume.com
Sat May 17 09:57:00 PDT 2008

Dear List,

My MacBook Pro is shutting down while unattended. I'd much appreciate
any assistance list members can give.

For the first time in 30 or so months, I experienced a complete freeze
while halfway through watching a DVD. I had to force reboot and
subsequently experienced the spinning beachball which forced me to do
further reboots. I thought I managed to isolate this to damaged
Firefox preferences and deleted these after logging into a clean
account and also into safe boot mode. However, I'm now finding that if
I leave my machine unattended playing music it turns itself off. Is
there a crash/system log or similar I can access to begin to identify
the issue?

I have backed up to a 500gb backup drive using Time Machine, but am
unsure how to go about reinstating a version of the system from before
the crash.

Any advice would be much appreciated.

All the best, Colin
EleventhVolume