[X4U] Decent book on scripting language

Ed Gould edgould1948 at comcast.net
Thu May 22 22:28:02 PDT 2008

I am spending way too much time doing a repetitive tasks of moving
files around.

I guess I need some sort of scripting language that will allow me to
automate this task. I know I will never be able to totally automate
it as (at times) it needs human judgement, but I can live with the
"few" exceptions.

Simply put I need to move a file from one folder to another folder
(BUT) if there is a duplicate don't move it.
  The from folder will remain constant but the receiving folder will
change depending on the first character of the file.

I am somewhat familiar with one or two other scripting languages but
have zero knowledge on anything Apple might have.

Can someone suggest a scripting language that will be able to test
easily if a file exists and *move* files from foldera to folderb (or
"c" or "d" or "e" etc)

At first a friend suggested automater but he looked at it and said he
didn't think so.

I would like to be able to use (what I call symbolics or someone
might call a variable)  eg: move &1stchartest.pdf to folder&1stchat
\&1stchartest.pdf
this would (if 1st char was say a) move atest.pdf folder\atest.pdf  I
know the example is not clear but the scripting language needs to be
able to actually move files and be able to have variable names used
in the file move as well as destinations.

The languages I know this is extremely simple so I am guessing there
is one for Apple as well.

Is there one, if so what is a decent book on it?

Thanks,

Ed

ps: If it makes any difference I am stuck on 10.4 for the foreseeable
future