[X4U] PPC a superior chip to Intel?

nk netkat at comcast.net
Fri May 23 15:19:20 PDT 2008

a few weeks ago, a buddy of mine, who owns an intel Mac Book Pro said
that, while his new machine is faster by the specs, he feels that the
PPC was just a better chip.

He didn't give specifics, just a sense overall, after having used both.

Lately, I have been working on-site at a client who has me on a Dual
Xeon Mac Pro. I can't say that it's noticeably faster (most of what
they have me doing is CS3-based work).

but what I have noticed is wierd screen-redraws, jumping, flickering,
and (wierdest of all) I zoomed in on an area in InDesign using the
magnifying glass, but when I "let go" of  the magnifier, the area
which ultimately was zoomed-in on was a completely different area of
the page!

I've been using Mac for about 20 years, and have seen lots of wierd
stuff, but nothing like this crummy screen redraw bidness I'm seeing
on this Xeon-based Mac Pro.

Any thots on whether the PPC was a better chip than the (supposedly)
faster Intel?

thanks!