[X4U] How much can it cost

Ed Gould edgould1948 at comcast.net
Fri May 30 11:41:45 PDT 2008

On May 30, 2008, at 10:28 AM, nk wrote:

> On May 30, 2008, at 7:48 AM, Randy B. Singer wrote:
>
>> but often the first sign that the battery is dead is that your Mac
>> won't startup.
>

> kind of a side note, but does this strike anybody else here as a
> kind of dumb design?
> having to re-set the date by hand bcs of a dead pram battery is one
> thing, but having a whole computer rendered inoperable by something
> so small...just seems stoopid to me.
>
> I had 1 pram battery go bad on me in my life...was the DP G4, but I
> could still fire the thing up at least.
>
> sheesh!

N:

I guess I differ. It basically comes down to me if the clock doesn't
work then the system shouldn't "work". I will agree that a message
should be presented to the user saying the clock is "broken" and to
have it serviced NOW. A dead $4 battery (or whatever the cost is)  is
chump change . I will say that Apple should supply a cdrom (or DVD)
that can run diagnostics and tell you the (for instance) that the
clock is broken. Diagnostics should be provided by Apple to do this
and other tests. If for no other reason than taking a desk top
computer to a service place is a little bit unrealistic in most cases
unless there is something really major. A dead pram battery is not
major in my opinion (since APPLE designed it as a user installable
item). If we are talking mother board or something else is reasonably
(IMO) not a item that can be undertaken by most users (some maybe).
Not to stray to far off topic but 15 years ago I had an IBM pc and I
was able to replace the power supply (and believe me I am clumsy)
without blinking. I do not know if APPLE is the same or not (as far
as power supplies) but it reasonably should be, after all if IBM can
do it there is no reason that APPLE can't. Maybe a portable computer
is a little different.

Ed