[X4U] Re: PRAM Battery Research & Test

Randy B. Singer randy at macattorney.com
Sat May 31 23:10:49 PDT 2008

On May 31, 2008, at 4:47 PM, Ronald Steinke wrote:

> You would not believe the number of local school teachers who
> simply could not begin to understand why they were having no video
> at startup. I would explain that it was the surest indication that
> the battery needed to be replaced, but they would insist that the
> computer was working properly, just no video at startup.
>
> When I demonstrated the procedure and then changed the battery for
> a good one, they usually asked why Apple didn't just make the "low
> battery" dialogue window appear when the computer was turned on. I
> guess that they couldn't make the connection between a low battery,
> no video signal, and not being able to show a dialogue window on
> screen.
>
> These people were teaching our kids?

I encounter a surprising number of users who will not be dissuaded in
their blind belief that:

1. Apple is infallible
2. Their Macintosh never needs any type of maintenance, ever
3. If their Macintosh would benefit from the use of any type of
utility software, Apple would have provided it with their Macintosh
(e.g. they refuse to believe that there is ever any need for Disk
Warrior, or, under OS 8/9 when there were a number of Mac viruses,
they refused to believe that using Disinfectant might be a good idea. )

So, the fact that you encountered folks who couldn't believe that
after a bunch of years that their Macs needed to have an inexpensive
internal battery replaced, is not at all surprising.

Randy B. Singer

Macintosh OS X Routine Maintenance
http://www.macattorney.com/ts.html