[X4U] restore itunes preserving metadata

riteme ritemehere at gmail.com
Tue Nov 18 03:41:54 PST 2008

hi. i deleted all the songs in my itunes library. really really
stupid. my music is kept on a buffalo linkstation nas. it is backed up
to an attached usb drive.

the last incremental backup never completed so i was going to wipe the
usb drive and just let it do a full backup again from scratch. except
i wiped the buffalo linkstation.

so. the backup on the usb drive is not complete. 50 gigs out of 125.

i have other partial backups that will probably bring back 80-90% of
the library. i also have the library file and xml file from ten days
ago.

my question is how to do this so i can retain the metadata?

to make this hopefully clear i have

1. dvds burned - but only up until may
2. the usb drive that was backing up the linkstation (newer music)
3. 60 gig ipod (random files)
4. an old 60 gig drive that has everything up until 2007
5. the library and library xml files from 10 days ago
6. 600 CDs but i don't want to rip those again and i assume that would
not keep all the data.

how should i go about putting this all back on the buffalo
linkstation? is it even possible to keep the original dates added, pla
counts info?

and in a related question - the linkstation is 320 gigs - 4 -5 years
old. it's been solid, a little slow at times, but it's worked. i now
have an airport extreme. would i be better off using a usb drive
airdisk to store and serve my music?

and i need a more bullet-proof backup strategy.

thanks for any help. eric