[X4U] New Trojan threatens Macs with installer...

Tim Collier tim.collier at mac.com
Wed Nov 19 09:45:44 PST 2008

On 11/19/08 12:06 AM, Michael Elliott said:

> This from macnn.com:
>
> http://www.macnn.com/articles/08/11/18/rsplugd.trojan.hits.macs/
>
> I just wanted to warn everyone that I think I've actually seen this
> trojan just yesterday.  I was doing a google search, and two of my
> hits came back with links that resolved to sites in the .pl domain.
> When the pages loaded, I got the "activex" installation dialog.
> Knowing that there IS no ActiveX on Macs, I was actually suspicious of
> a trojan, and closed the site.
>
> Has anyone else run into this?
>
> Michael

What did P. T. Barnum say?  There's a sucker born every minute.  I believe
this applies aptly to your statement.  Since I KNOW that I am running the
Mac OS, I KNOW that it does not use ActiveX, that's used by Windows.
Anybody stupid enough to click "yes" to have it install deserves what he
gets.  Plus, if you look at the web page, you'll notice that they're trying
to sell you anti-virus software.  What does that tell you?  It also states
that these are mostly located on porn sites.  Why not try getting your
pornography by some other means?
--
Tim Collier
MacBook Pro 2.33 gig 4 gig RAM