[X4U] Finder Question

John Baltutis baltwo at san.rr.com
Wed Nov 19 13:06:14 PST 2008

On 11/19/08, Ed Gould <edgould1948 at comcast.net> wrote:

> I must be completely missing it then as I can not see it.

That's true.
> I had a  friend tell me the same thing. So it must not be easily seen.
>  Spotlight is iffy when it comes time to displaying the path. Sometimes it
> shows up in yellow but you have to move the cursor around and then
> half the time it disappears before you can write it down.  Again it
> seems at best iffy way to do things. I thought that what spotlight
> was for. I know it works (sometimes) but the yellow path is almost a
> flip up (30-35 percent of the time it shows the path) . I do NOT need
> to double click it just find the right folder so I can then delete
> it.

If you click on the Spotlight menubar icon or hit CMD+Spacebar, enter a search
term, and just drag your cursor over a result, you'll always get the tooltip
that displays the item's name and path to the item. Note that there's a slight
delay, but if you wait a second or two, the tooltip pops up. If you click on
the Show All item, you'll get a Finder search window with all of those results.
In that window, when you click on a result, the path is shown in the window's
bottom. That works for everything except a Safari history item, which is just a
link to an URL, stored in
/Users/username/Library/Caches/Metadata/Safari/History/.

BTW, for David Brostoff and Ed, when you hit CMD+R on an item in either the
Spotlight window or the Finder Find window, it'll open the folder containing
the item and highlight it.

>I will look at another product now.

Why? What you have does the job. Your issue seems to be that you're confused as
to what actually happens and what you want to happen.

> Thanks all for this less than helpful feature of OS X.

As others have noted, it is a very helpful feature.