[X4U] Re: spotlight question - search for a phrase

stephen e. schwartz ses at bnl.gov
Fri Nov 21 08:01:03 PST 2008

Thank you kirk. Briefly, no, not working for me to find a character
string or phrase of interest. I offer an example.

In the following I am using command-F, and entering the indicated
text into the contents box obtained with pulldown window.

The phrase I am looking for is "consonant with a given agreed upon
allowable" which I know to be present in at least one pdf document
and one word document.

Here are the number of items found

"consonant with a given agreed upon allowable"   56

consonant with any agreed upon allowable   56

allowable consonant agreed   56

consonant allowable agreed   56

consonant allowable   64

(the items found are pdf documents, html, and documents.)

so it seems to me that the spotlight is finding all documents that
contain all those words (the intersection of the sets of documents
containing consonant, allowable, and agreed) and NOT the character
string that I am looking for.

So back to my question, how to find the documents that contain a
specific character string or phrase, including spaces.

thanks

-steve

----