[X4U] New Trojan threatens Macs with installer...

Linda xpressobean at mac.com
Sun Nov 23 16:21:20 PST 2008

On 11/23/08 10:31 AM, Robert Ameeti wrote:

> What neither company should do is cause for press releases
> to occur when they are just doing their job. Apple does not advertise their
> security fixes.

Because the flaw/loophole/breach is one in *their* software -- it makes
their software look bad to trumpet every patch they have to make to the OS
they created that had these flaws in the first place.

> Intego makes sure the press is aware of every proof of concept that they can
> find regardless of its existence in the wild nor the likelihood it anyone
> finding it.

Because they are keeping people safe. Think of them as police. They aren't
fixing their own software, they are out there thwarting external virus and
malware -- of course they want people to know that they are doing their job!

I strongly believe in alerting people about malware and Trojans and other
viruses that are "out there". People become complacent if they are hidden
from all of them. Why would they continue to spend money on AV software if
they don't know what they're getting for their money?

Think of your computer like a house. You hire a builder to build the house,
and he installs windows without locks. Maybe he doesn't realize windows need
locks, maybe he doesn't realize that the windows don't have them. Who knows?
Thing is, now people can come into your house and steal your silverware. The
builder comes back and installs the correct windows until people stop coming
in and stealing your silverware.

The builder is like Apple.

You aren't sure that locks on the windows are enough to keep you safe, so
you hire a security company to stand guard around the permimeter of your
property. You definitely want to know every time they chase someone away
from your property, otherwise you think you're wasting your money and you
might stop hiring them, not knowing what a great job they are really doing
for you.

The security company is like Intego and other AV companies.