[X4U] Find not always works

Jim Robertson jamesrob at sonic.net
Tue Nov 25 07:38:43 PST 2008

On 11/23/08 4:40 PM, "Randy B. Singer" <randy at macattorney.com> wrote:

> Spotless is a great way to force Spotlight to rebuild its index.  You  can
> also do the same using Spotlight's System Preference pane.
>
> Open System Preferences (in the Apple menu) , choose the Spotlight  pane,
> click on the Privacy tab, and drag your main drive's icon into  the Privacy
> window.  Now highlight your hard drive's icon within the  Privacy window (by
> clicking on it once) and click on the "-" (that is, the minus button in the
> Privacy Window).
>
> This will cause the Spotlight database to be deleted and  automatically
> rebuilt. (You won't be able to use Spotlight while its  database is being
> rebuilt.)

Thanks, Randy.

I think you may even have been the source of this suggestion to me earlier.
The strange thing is that it didn't work for me. I moved my entire drive
into the Spotlight Preferences "privacy" window and clicked the minus icon,
then later moved the drive OUT of the privacy window. That may have been my
"oops" because when I launched Spotless it told me my hard drive was
excluded from indexing (I'm guessing I didn't click the "plus" icon and wait
(I have no idea how long I should have waited) before dragging my hard drive
OUT of the privacy window).

In any event, Spotless fixed things for me.

Anyone have any clues why I couldn't use Paul Moorgat's command-line in
terminal?

Jim Robertson