[X4U] Can Apple's Mail pick up GMail?

Neil Laubenthal neil at laubenthal.net
Wed Oct 1 16:09:33 PDT 2008

If you're using Mail . . . it keeps a locally cached copy of your IMAP
mailboxes . . . they live in ~/Library/Mail. So; whatever you're
backing up your laptop with (Time Machine, Retrospect, whatever) will
also backup the locally cached copies.

The IMAP server is a commercial entity and has way better backup than
home users can afford. Most providers use a combination of SANs,
RAIDs, redundant servers, and redundant network centers to ensure
reliability for their servers. In addition; the vast majority of
commercial mail servers are running Unix of some sort . . . so absent
a hardware failure they simply aren't subject to the same software
things that say a Microsoft Exchange server is. Unix also offers
clustering capabilities . . .which means that there may be two servers
(or even 3 or more) behind the hostname that appears to you to be the
mail server. One server is online and they share the data; if there is
a hardware failure in the online cluster node the standby node takes
over and you're none the wiser. The mail servers can also be
virtualized . . .which means that the entire mail server is
essentially an instance of something like VMWare Fusion and the
'server' is really just a disk image file. If the hardware it's
running on croaks . . . the failover software restarts the virtual
server on another physical server.

Commercial folks are pretty anal about backup and redundancy.