[X4U] Can Apple's Mail pick up GMail?

Ed Gould edgould1948 at comcast.net
Wed Oct 1 21:07:06 PDT 2008

On Oct 1, 2008, at 6:43 AM, Christopher Rob JONES wrote:

>> One question that I do have  is though are you depending on the
>> server site as being able to back up/restore email? I would think
>> this is an issue no matter which method you use. With POP its up
>> to you to do backup and it has to be consistent (example every
>> morning at 3 AM) At some sites I have heard that they do NOT back
>> up the server as it is to volatile.
>
> Any sites that use that as an excuse not to backup, are not sites I
> would want to have any dealings with ...
>
> Chris

Chris:

Grin when I ran into this it was at a hospital (I worked for no
less). We did several tests and it came down to the hardware (server)
not being fast enough to do a backup. It has been over 10 years so I
can honestly say I do not remember the specifics other than the
server people saying "so what". We ran one test without telling them
but could not get done in time from 8PM to 5AM. We suggested that the
put raid disk in and they hummed and hawed and came back with the
answer EMAIL is not all that important.

Ed