[X4U] Dual Boot (PPC/Intel) Firewire HD?

John Baltutis baltwo at san.rr.com
Fri Oct 3 18:04:11 PDT 2008

On 10/3/08,  "Zane H. Healy" <healyzh at aracnet.com> wrote:

> Is it possible to install Mac OS X on an external Firewire HD such that you
> can boot either a PPC or an Intel-based Mac?  I want to build a new utility
> disk that I can use to boot any of my families Mac's and run various
> utilities against them.

AFAIK, all you have to do is install Leopard (use the PPC machine or put a
bootable clone of your ICBM (Intel-chip-based Mac)) onto a FWHD that's been
formated with APM, not GUID, and it should boot either. Try it and let us know
how it works.

Alternatively, partition the FWHD, formatted with APM, and put clones of each
onto separate partitions.