[X4U] convert POP to IMAP

riteme ritemehere at gmail.com
Tue Oct 7 04:19:34 PDT 2008

hello - I've been following the "can apple's mail  pick up gmail
thread" which actually convinced me to change my dot mac account from
POP to IMAP. reason being I have an iphone and want it all to be in
sync with messages read.

My concern is of course not to mess things up .... my question is what
to do with all the folders i use - 7 years of email all filed into
nested hierarchal folders.
-I'm under the impression i can simply drag these folders into the new
imap account and they will migrate.
- or do i create new folders and then drag the messages?

this also might be a good time however to archive folders i no longer
use, ie old jobs, and prune this all down - on the other hand, if i
migrate them they are backed up again.

another question is rules. i assume they will simply work .....

I've been reading various "how to" migrate and it seems fairly
straightforward - is there anything in particular anyone's learned
doing this that i should be aware of?

as an aside, this might help someone else - as an interim step  i set
up another gmail account and configured it to fetch my dot mac mail -
then set THAT account up on my iphone.   this is pretty neat.   i
mention it because if you have a POP account, it's a great way to
seamlessly back up your email (skip the iphone step)  as it goes to
both accounts, dot mac and the gmail. (did i explain that clearly).

thanks for the help, eric