[X4U] A PDF question

Linda xpressobean at mac.com
Thu Oct 16 07:17:53 PDT 2008

On 10/15/08 6:44 PM, Randy B. Singer wrote:

> Open the PDF in Apple's Preview.  (Adobe's free Acrobat Reader will
> do just as well.)
>
> In the toolbar at the top of the screen, choose the Selection Tool
> (it will be a little oval button with a box on it.)
>
> Click-drag your cursor over the graphic that you want to copy, and
> create a selection box around it.
>
> Choose Copy from the Edit menu.
>
> Open a document in another program, such as a word processor or
> graphics program, and choose Paste.

Bear in mind that a screen snap like this is just 72 dpi -- depending on
your needs, this may or may not be of high enough resolution.

<http://www.wsu.edu/~brians/errors/voila.html>

> Open the PDF in Apple's Preview.
>
> Choose Save As... and under the Format drop down menu choose your
> favorite graphic format, such as JPEG.
>
> Choose Save, and your PDF will now be a graphic file.
>
> Open this new graphic file in your favorite graphics program.  Select
> and delete all but the graphic that you want to save.  Save the file.

This is cool; I didn't know Preview had these features. Do you know if it
passes on the resolution of the original PDF, and whether it preserves CMYK?
I just did two tests on PDF laying around on my desktop, and the resulting
TIFFs opened in Photoshop with a resolution of 150 dpi, and both were RGB,
but I don't have any idea if that was the resolution and colorspace with
which they were created with or if that's Preview's "optimal" resolution.

Very awesome tip. Thanks, Randy.

~Linda