[X4U] Trying to get a Mac Laptop approved - Part 1

Ken Schneider ken at schneider.net
Thu Oct 16 11:22:19 PDT 2008

The list bounces this back because of length so I split it into 2 parts.

I have copied the response from my company's IT Manager.  He has
refused my request for my laptop replacement to be a Mac.  You'll see
that many of his reasons are baseless but I'm not sure how to
respond.  Any help would be appreciated.  I do need to use Outlook and
some other Windoze specific applications but that should be fine with
BootCamp or Parallels.  I remember there were some web sites that have
info to help refute reasons like the ones I was given but I can't seem
to locate any recent ones.

Thanks,

-= Ken =-
_______________________

Thanks for this but based upon what you've said unfortunately I cannot
justify a Mac for the following the reasons:

- No significant business need to justify a change to existing company
standardisation.

- Dell laptops and XP operating systems are already tried and tested
with all XXXXX sales people.

- We have never run or tested a Mac running Windows XP so this would
create added risk and company support costs. Dells are tried and
tested throughout the organisation.

- Lack of ability to support you due to no universal Mac skills in IT.

-- Continued in Part 2 --