[X4U] User ID problem

Russell McGaha russellmcgaha at mac.com
Sun Oct 19 09:46:49 PDT 2008

Geoffrey;
	Short answer; yes.
	Longer answer; normally I just use ccc to move to a new HD.  This
time since I had some networking troubles that, after talking to some
fellow ASP's and research on the support boards, needed some harsher
methods, I did a backup, a repair permissions, and then an archive
and install, and that left the ownerships royally .... messed up.
	CHOWN, and CHMOD, are good for single files and folders; but not so
good on an whole HD.
	An archive and install is NOT SUPPOSED to change your UID.  This is
only the second time I've seen this kind of a mess, the other time
was on a Leopard, which is MUCH easier to mess up because of the
extended permissions.
	I was hoping for someway to set items with an UID of, say 504, to
502 on a whole HD.  I guess I'll just have to do it on a chase by
chase basis; though doing the /tmp directories and such will be more
of a challenge.

Russell