[X4U] Can't set MS Word as the default

James Hurley jhurley0305 at sbcglobal.net
Mon Oct 20 05:47:21 PDT 2008

I don't know how this happened but my Mac suddenly has trouble
recognizing Word documents.

Even the screen icon is now missing on Word documents.

If I control-click on a Word document, the default program to open a
Word file is Text Edit. If I select Other and choose MS Word in my
Applications folder it does open it word. But only that one time. The
next time I try to open it, Text Edit is again the default application.

If I do a Get Info on a Word file, Text Edit is listed as the
application in which the file will open. If I select Other and choose
Word, then MS Word appears in the drop down menu as the app to open
the file. But if I then click on the "Change All" button, the drop
down menu changes to Word Pad, an application that needs to go
through Fusion to open.  It is not possible to do a Change All to MS
Word.

Any thoughts on this very weird avoidance of Word as the app for
opening Word documents?

Jim Hurley