[X4U] Installing OS X from an External HD (was Daughter's Hard Drive Carnage Part 2)

David R. Boag, DDS spikedds at bellsouth.net
Sun Oct 26 13:21:12 PDT 2008

To follow up on this thread:

1. We had our son Wednesday. http://gallery.me.com/spikedds

2. I found someone with a LaCie Quadra drive and borrowed their power
supply. It WAS the problem. LaCie is sending me another one on their
dime. Should have it within a week or so, and then I'll be back up and
running.

3. Now, for what to do with a new 1 TB HD: i bought an enclosure, even
though it's only USB2, but I figure I'll use it for the Mini, which
doesn't have FW800 anyway. OK, so I decided I wanted to do what I've
read on MacFixIt and other places. I decided to make a partition that
will allow me to install Leopard from a hard drive, rather than from
the DVD(s). But I've run into a snag. Their recommendations are to
create an image of the install DVD and then restore it onto the
external HD on a 10GB partition. Well, I created a DCD/CDR master of
the installer disc using Disk Utility no problem. I also have no
trouble restoring it onto the external HD.

However, when I go to start up from the external, it will not startup.
If I try, I get the alert: The application "Install Mac OS X" cannot
be used from this volume. To install Mac OS X, please use the
application provided on the Mac OS X installation disc. For the
record, I formatted the drive using GUID, because I'm only using Intel-
based Macs, but I have also tried it using the other format, and it
made no difference.

Anyone run into this problem and know how to solve it?

TIA

David R. Boag, DDS