[X4U] Diving into Leopard . . .

Joe Sporleder joe at wacondatrader.com
Thu Oct 30 14:27:50 PDT 2008

On Oct 30, 2008, at 4:08 PM, John Baltutis wrote:

> On 10/27/08, Joe Sporleder <joe at wacondatrader.com> wrote:
>>
>> Any gotchas I need to worry about as I begin to worry about with
>> Leopard as I start upgrading our newspaper publishing office (other
>> than the obvious, make a good backup or two before I start)? I just
>> bought one of our salespeople a refurbished MacBook Pro from Apple to
>> replace an aging MacBook. I'm also replacing a desktop in the near
>> future with a Mac that also comes with Leopard. I'm going to start by
>> installing a license of Leopard I bought for my own older MacBook Pro
>> to get comfortable with it for a few days and then role it out to the
>> two others that will have Leopard.
>
> Sorry for the late response, but I'm on digest mode and the latest
> contains
> stuff that's a week old.
>
> If moving from PPC to ICBM (Intel-chip-based Mac), see
> <http://discussions.apple.com/thread.jspa?messageID=1872713 > for
> starters.
>
> Get a bootable, external HD (preferably FireWire), and make a bootable
> backup/clone before updating, upgrading, or installing new softtware
> and ensure
> that it's bootable and works like the original. That allows you to
> revert to
> the previous good state without having to reinstall anything if the
> update
> causes issues.  See these for details:

I've been upgraded to Leopard on this older MacBook Pro, and so far,
everything is working great, including my production apps (Creator,
Photoshop, Acrobat Pro, FileMaker, etc.). I kind of feel like some
things Apple changed between Tiger and Leopard, just for the sake of
change, but I suppose after a while, I'll appreciate the wisdom of the
"new way". :-D

Joe