[X4U] help with problem

Neil Laubenthal neil at laubenthal.net
Mon Sep 29 17:17:03 PDT 2008

If you've only got 410 MB unused . . . your disk is basically full; if
you get down to less than about 10% free space it's time to get a
bigger drive or move some stuff elsewhere.

The virtual memory paging files vary in size and number over
time . . . and in addition you need more space than you think for
downloading software sometimes . . . for instance the MacOS X 10.5.5
combo updater is about 600 MB in size but then you need another 2 GB
or so free space for the install . . . even though after the install
is complete and the package trashed the actual increase in used space
is smaller than that since a bunch of files are overwritten with
slightly different (and usually slightly bigger but not always)
versions.

There are a couple of apps that tell you where your drive space is
being used . . . GrandPerspective is probably the best but there's
another one called WhatSize. If they don't indicate any gross
offenders; it might be that you just ran out of space.