[X4U] Can Apple's Mail pick up GMail?

Neil Laubenthal neil at laubenthal.net
Tue Sep 30 16:40:09 PDT 2008

The benefit of IMAP is that you can access your mail from more than
one place . .  .Mail on your laptop, Mail on your desktop, IE from the
Windoze box at work, your iPhone, the internet cafe when you're in
Tokyo, etc.

It's true . . . you have to leave your mail on the server (including
your archives) for this to work . . . but IMAP mail space is pretty
cheap. If you've got MobileMe . . . you've got a total of 20 GB of
space. I don't keep my mail archives on MobileMe but rather on my
fastmail.fm account. That only costs me 20 bucks a year for 600 MB (40
bucks a year for 6 GB) . . . I currently have 139 MB of mail archived
there for a total of about 15,000 messages.

GMail is also a good place to store archived mail . . .it's free but I
really don't think much of the non-folder interface they use.

I do keep some really old archives on my laptop in Mail . . . but then
I rarely need stuff from before 2003 while I'm away from the house.
The real nice thing is that it's all available no matter where I am.