[X4U] Firewire 800

Randy B. Singer randy at macattorney.com
Wed Apr 1 11:15:42 PDT 2009

On Apr 1, 2009, at 7:45 AM, James Hurley wrote:

> I will be getting the new Mac Mini. It sports an 800 speed firewire.
>
> My external HD is 400 speed. I can connect the two with a 6 pin to
> 9 pin firewire cable.
>
> Of course I will lose the advantage of the 800 speed of the Mini.
> Any advice on whether I should bite the bullet and cough up the
> dough for an 800 firewire HD?

You probably won't even notice the difference.

However, if you want to take advantage of the FW800 interface on your
mini, you don't need to purchase an all new external drive.  You can
just take the mechanism out of your current external drive and put it
in a new case that offers a FW800 connection.

Check out:

Rosewill RX81-MP-SC- SLV 3.5" SATA to USB 2.0 & FireWire 1394 a/b &
eSATA External Enclosure
$59 with free shipping
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817182123

Randy B. Singer