[X4U] Any users of Stone design products here?

Randy B. Singer randy at macattorney.com
Thu Apr 2 19:32:40 PDT 2009

On Apr 2, 2009, at 7:36 AM, zapcat wrote:

> I just stumbled onto this developer after looking at bare feat's
> benchmarking of 2009 macs using "iMaginator."
>
> Seems they have a whole fleet of apps, including page layout called
> "Create." while I don't expect adobe to be unseated overnight, does
> anyone know about the adoption rate of this little app?

Create has been around for many years.  It isn't exactly what I would
call a traditional page layout program.  It is more of a multi-
purpose design program.  It is very useful for a lot of things, but
it doesn't do any one thing as well as a high-end dedicated application.

> I've been watching Scribus slowly gain traction, but more on the
> Linux/PC side of things...it's still painfully slow on a Mac. at
> least, on MY mac! ;-)

If you are looking for an alternate page layout program, in addition
to Scribus, Pages, and Create, have a look at:

Swift Publisher $45
http://www.belightsoft.com/products/swiftpublisher/overview.php

iCalamus  (129 Euros)
http://www.icalamus.net/icalamus/index.php?lan=en

DesktopPublisher Pro  $20
(formerly known as MacPublisherPro)
http://www.metisinternational.com/PubPro.html

Creator Desktop $100
http://www.creatorsoftware.com/products/creator_desktop/

Ready, Set, Go! $175
(yes, this is the vastly updated successor to the original Mac program)
http://diwan.com/ready/prsg.htm

iStudio Publisher, an intuitive page layout program (no manual
required).
http://www.cfour.net

Randy B. Singer

Macintosh OS X Routine Maintenance