[X4U] Having Windows open drain resources?

zapcat zapcat at speakeasy.net
Sun Apr 5 09:57:46 PDT 2009

thanks to both of you for your replies...

some facts:

OS X 10.4.11, Mac Mini PPC 1.42ghz, 1-gig stick, 7200 RPM External FW
Drive = boot disk.

OK..I usually have 3D renders going 24/7, and I can tell how long
each frame takes to render on each of two render nodes...the host
machine was taking significantly longer than the "slave" node, so I
started looking at what was wolfing down all that CPU power..

Much as I like using Drag Thing, the biggest improvement in render
times came after I stopped using it..the host node render time was
slashed by 1/3, and that ain't nuttin to sneeze at!

When I said "keep a few windows open," I mean Finder windows..I am
keep8ing 4 open, with one minimized in the dock, and most of the
time, the Finder CPU usage is 0.00.

I respect what you say about whether a Finder window is trying to
show Previews, and none of them are...I wanted to keep them at the
ready because every time I need to do a finder operation, there's all
that horsing around opening up and sizing and arranging the windows,
which is dumb compared to having them just stay open, as long as my
system doesn't take a hit, and it appears that it is not taking a hit
as a result of what I'm doing.

These two G4 Minis are a bit long in the tooth, and I might not
upgrade until this Summer, if at all, and I'm looking at ways to
maximize the efficiency of the systems.  whacking 3D render times by
1/3 is pretty huge..

The lesson is that 3rd-party interface doo-dads, while cool and
functional, also put an undue drain on computer resources which,
IMHO, cancel out the benefits they offer in return.

Previously I thought that keeping Activity Monitor running and open
was a bit on the fanatical side, but I can say that it has helped me
to keep the CPU power applied where I need it.

If you can squeeze more performance out of your (expensive) hardware/
software complement by changing your own behavior/what you have
running, why not do it?

zc