[X4U] Disk Utility - ? Answered

DAN A CURRIE dancurr at frontiernet.net
Fri Apr 17 12:31:54 PDT 2009

Kris Tilford wrote:
> On Apr 17, 2009, at 12:42 PM, DAN A CURRIE wrote:
>

>> I would like to set the computer up so that I do not need to install
>> the
>> OS disk<sic> to run Disk Utilities.
>>

> You don't need to "install" the OS disc to run Disk Utility. You
> "boot" the install disc and then select Disk Utility from the menu bar
> and launch it and use it without "installing" the OS.

I do not want to keep using the Install Disc just to run Disk Utilities
to clean up my HDD. DVD's get scratched too easily.
> If you want a small 3GB partition to boot from instead of the CD/DVD,
> just install a custom installation with everything deselected except
> the bare minimum. You can also delete any unused applications, etc.
> after the installation. If the installer won't allow, you can clone an
> OS from your larger active partition using Carbon Copy Cloner.

EXACTLY what I wanted to know. This will allow me to log off and log on
using the 3GB HDD as a Start up Disk and clean the HDD
> Also note: removable media such as floppies, CDs, DVDs, Blu-ray, are
> called discs with a "c", disk with a "k" is for fixed media such as HDs.

Yes, I know about the Language Police!!

I also cross post to get the maximum response to my questions. If
everyone read the same lists then there would be no need for other
lists. I watch CNN, MSNBC, CBS News, and sometimes FOX News for comic
relief - then I make up my own mind and draw my own conclusions.

Thank you,

Question answered,

Dan II