[X4U] IP address on local network

Neil Laubenthal neil at laubenthal.net
Tue Apr 21 16:08:50 PDT 2009

Sure . . .just go into Networking and set up static IPs for each
machine. You'll either have to completely disable DHCP on your Airport
or else change the scope of IPs that might be assigned to not include
the ones you have set up for static.

For instance . . . if your airport is currently distributing
192.168.1.2 through 192.168.1.254 . . . just change that to only
distribute say .1 through .25 and then assign static IPs to your Macs
starting at 26.

Alternatively . . . you could set the DHCP lease for 999 days or
something like that . . .that way the IPs could be dynamically
assigned but would never change.

Alternatively . . .although this is getting pretty geeky you could
just set up lease reservations in your Airport based on MAC address
and then each computer will always get the same dynamically assigned
IP address . . . giving you all the benefits of DHCP and all the
benefits of static IPs at the same time.