[X4U] IP address on local network

Daly Jessup jessup at san.rr.com
Fri Apr 24 17:23:25 PDT 2009

>I am in the same situation (love Plex).  Now, I wonder, what are the
>benefits of DHCP vs static IPs?  Thanks.
>
>On Apr 21, 2009, at 7:08 PM, Neil Laubenthal wrote:
>
>>giving you all the benefits of DHCP and all the benefits of static
>>IPs at the same time.

I'm thrilled with today's hint. This morning, I set up the Airport
Extreme to do DHCP, but reserve specific IP addresses for our five
home computers, each identified by its MAC address. So DHCP is
working (confirmed by a visitor's computer on the network, using
regular DHCP) and all of our computers having IP addresses provided
by this new method - assigned in Airport Extreme by MAC address. This
is so great! No more occasionally changingn IP addresses on our
network.

Static IPs allow us to set up access to our home network from remote
computers, with ports forwarded to local IP addresses that will not
be changing now and then.  But when a visitor comes to our home and
tries to connect to our local network, they will be able to get an IP
address by DHCP without my having to know their MAC address. They
will just get added to the network as soon as I type our password.
But our usual home computers will not get their IP addresses changed
no matter what happens with the network. It's really handy, and took
about ten minutes to do, most of that time, running around the house
to the various computers, to collect their MAC addresses from System
Profiler.

Daly