[X4U] IP address on local network

Neil Laubenthal neil at laubenthal.net
Sun Apr 26 17:19:48 PDT 2009

Sure . . . here's a brief description of the difference.

You get a single public IP fro your ISP and it is assigned to your
router. The router does something called Network Address Translation
(NAT) to allow multiple computers at your house to simultaneously
access the internet.

Each computer inside your house needs an IP address
obviously . . .they're usually assigned in the 192.168.x.x or
10.0.x.x. ranges as these IPs are not directly routable on the internet.

If you use DHCP (Dynamic Host Configuration Protocol) then your router
hands out IPs in a specified range, along with the router's address
and DNS server addresses as supplied by your ISP. These IPs have a
lease time until they expire so that they can be reused. They can be
assigned completely dynamically which means one particular computer
may have a different IP today than it did yesterday. This is fine if
all you want to do is get to the internet . . .but if you want to
connect from say your laptop to your desktop then you need to know the
desktop IP.

If you assign a static IP to each computer then it stays the same and
you can easily connect to other computers in your house. However,
static IPs are a little harder to manage.

One way to get the advantages of both dynamic and static is to use
DHCP but set address reservations. On your router . . . you enter the
MAC address (Media Access Control, not the same thing as a Mac) of
each computer and tell the router to dynamically assign IPs but to
always assign 192.168.1.5 to mac address xyz . . .that way your
desktop always has the same IP assigned.

I personally use static IP addresses for all my computers at
home . . . but keep a DHCP scope setup but inactive as well for when I
have visitors, that way they don't have to do any fiddling
around . . .I just enable the scope while they're here and they can
connect.