[X4U] IP address on local network

Daly Jessup jessup at san.rr.com
Mon Apr 27 16:50:55 PDT 2009

>Having static IP addresses on the local network helps with
>connecting and sharing files on the local computers. If you are
>using Bonjour on the Macs then this is not a  big issue but if you
>have mixed computers, ie. Windows, Lenix and Macs then it is
>helpful. Also having a static IP can help you to connect from the
>outside world back to your computer on your local network.

I agree. My question was not about why it's good to have a fixed IP
address, but about whether there's a difference between doing it at
the router (assigning IP addreses by MAC address for each computer)
and doing it by Network Pref Pane, setting it to DHCP with Manual
Address. I now understand that it's pretty much the same thing, but
for various reasons, some people may prefer one method over the other.

I totally agree that if you are networking various computers, fixed
IP addresses is valuable.

Daly