[X4U] Airport express question

Lawrence Haber lahaber at mac.com
Sun Dec 6 15:45:38 PST 2009

On Dec 6, 2009, at 3:00 PM, x4u-request at listserver.themacintoshguy.com wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> I have a follow up to my "wireless printing" question. I bought an
> Airport Express (not the Extreme) but wont be using it until after
> Christmas. In previous posts many of you mentioned how you used the
> AP Express to boost your WiFi signal. How much area does the AP
> Express on it's own cover if you needed another one to boost it's
> signal? I have a 2000 sq ft home. I plan on setting it up in roughly
> the centre on the top floor. Will the signal reach throughout the
> house, including the basement?
>
> Mark

In "theory" one of them, in the middle will suffice.

Real world is very probably another matter.  The walls and their mode of construction, your refrigerators, wall units, bookcases, and all sorts of mysterious things including microwave ovens and wireless phones effect the spread of your WiFi signal.

In my house, made in 1840 with plaster walls and brick construction, I have five deployed.  My last house, somewhat larger, needed only three.  You will install the AE and you'll see where the dead spots are and how strong your signal is and you'll take it from there, but sight unseen, I'd be surprised if one does it, properly.

Just my two cents.

Larry