[X4U] Remote Access to Mobile Laptop - Any Solution

Rick Gordon rick at rickgordon.com
Wed Feb 4 02:43:51 PST 2009

I use Timbuktu, and can access a dynamic IP. What I'm not sure about is how to access a mobile computer that is connect though a router that I have no administrative access to. What I normally need to do is to forward a port (either the default Timbuktu port 407 or an alternate port) to a known local IP number. I could set the laptop to a manual IP number, but there is no possibility of accessing the admin functions of the router, which would just be whatever access he has while travelling internationally.

Rick Gordon

------------------

On 2/4/09 at 10:30 AM +0000, Simon Forster wrote in a message entitled
"Re: [X4U] Remote Access to Mobile Laptop - Any Solution":

>On 4 Feb 2009, at 09:52, Rick Gordon wrote:
>
>>I would like to find a way to access a laptop (for support purposes) which will be mobile and connecting from different Internet cafes or other locations where the preconfiguration of a NAT router to a known local IP number is not possible.
>>
>>The laptop has dynamic IP software installed, so it will phone home with the current WAN IP number with which it would be connected to at any given time. But how, with Timbuktu, Apple Remote Access, VNC, GoToMyPC, or whatever, might I be able to access it behind a NAT router (what I assume to be the most likely scenario) which won't have any port forwarding set up, and with which we will have no administrative control?
>>
>>Any hope?
>
>I can't remember the exact details but I set up a reverse SSH tunnel for a client on a dynamic IP so that I could back into his machine for remote troubleshooting. Basically, he had to initiate an SSH tunnel to a machine on a static IP (probably done as a double clickable AppleScript App on his desktop) and then I did the same from my end and used Apple Remote Access through the SSH tunnel. Worked very well.
>
>I believe that there's at least one commercial product which'll allow you to gain access to a machine on a dynamic IP. Doesn't Timbuktu have this built-in now?
>
>HTH
>
>Simon

RICK GORDON
EMERALD VALLEY GRAPHICS AND CONSULTING